Why I Chose Cambridge iGCSE English Language: An English Tutor's Perspective

 

An English Tutor's Perspective

After teaching GCSE English for over twenty years, I'm often asked why I choose to teach Cambridge iGCSE English Language. Having taught several examination boards in schools, sixth-form colleges and through private tuition, I deliberately chose Cambridge because I believe its structured approach helps students develop confidence, reading skills and independence. Here's why.


Why I Choose Cambridge iGCSE English Language

One of the questions I'm asked most often by parents is why I teach Cambridge iGCSE English Language rather than another GCSE or iGCSE English course.

After more than twenty years teaching English—in schools, sixth-form colleges and through private tuition—I've worked with students following several different examination boards. When I had the opportunity to choose the course I wanted to build my teaching around, I chose Cambridge.

Not because it's "easier". It isn't.

I chose it because I believe it reflects the way good readers develop: gradually, confidently and one step at a time.


Building Confidence Through Structured Thinking

One of the features I particularly value is the stepped structure of the Cambridge reading papers.

Rather than asking students to leap immediately into a large, high-stakes analytical essay, the paper guides them through a sequence of increasingly demanding tasks. Students begin by retrieving information, move on to explaining meaning, selecting evidence, making inferences and analysing language before tackling the longer extended responses.

Each stage prepares them for the next.

For many students, this creates something invaluable: momentum.

Instead of staring at a blank page wondering how to begin, they can start earning marks almost immediately.

I often describe this as "banking marks."

Every accurate retrieval, thoughtful explanation or well-selected quotation adds to their overall score. By the time students reach the longer questions, they have already demonstrated a wide range of reading skills and have built confidence through success.

Rather than feeling overwhelmed by one enormous task, students experience steady progress throughout the paper.


Collecting Marks Rather Than Chasing Perfection

Over the years I've taught many students who are bright, thoughtful and capable—but who don't always show their best under exam conditions.

Some are neurodivergent.

Some experience exam anxiety.

Others simply have perfectionist tendencies and become stuck searching for the "perfect" answer before they're willing to commit anything to the page.

A stepped paper helps to break that cycle.

Instead of feeling that everything depends on producing one flawless essay, students make progress from the very beginning. They collect marks throughout the paper rather than feeling that success depends on getting everything exactly right.

For many learners, that change in mindset makes a remarkable difference.

In my experience, this structure often works particularly well for students who benefit from clear stages, visible progress and opportunities to build confidence throughout the paper.


Teaching Reading Skills That Last Beyond the Exam

The structure of the Cambridge papers also mirrors the way I like to teach.

My lessons focus on developing reading skills progressively rather than memorising formulas.

We practise spotting evidence through activities like Where's Wally?, making thoughtful connections using Look and Link, selecting the strongest quotations with Slash and Trash, and exploring deeper meaning through my Iceberg approach to reading.

These aren't tricks for passing an exam.

They're ways of learning how expert readers think.

Because the paper itself develops in stages, students have repeated opportunities to apply those same strategies throughout the examination.


Skills First, Exams Second

Although every examination board has its own style, the fundamental skills remain the same.

Students still need to read carefully.

Notice details.

Understand writers' choices.

Support ideas with evidence.

Write clearly for different audiences and purposes.

These are transferable skills that serve students well beyond GCSE English.

What I appreciate about Cambridge is that the assessment allows students to demonstrate those skills progressively rather than asking them to make the biggest intellectual leap at the very start of the paper.

For me, that's good teaching as well as good assessment.


Why I Continue to Teach Cambridge

Every student is different, and there isn't a single "perfect" examination board for everyone.

However, for the students I work with—including many who benefit from structured learning, clear routines and opportunities to build confidence gradually—the Cambridge course has consistently proved to be an excellent fit.

It allows students to build success one step at a time, banking marks as they go, before tackling the more demanding analytical tasks.

Ultimately, that's why I continue to choose Cambridge iGCSE English Language.

Not because it lowers expectations, but because it provides a thoughtful framework that allows students to demonstrate what they truly know and can do.

After more than twenty years of teaching English, that's exactly the kind of learning I want to encourage.



Frequently Asked Questions

Is Cambridge iGCSE English harder than GCSE English?

Cambridge iGCSE is recognised as equivalent in standard to GCSE English. I choose it because of its structured assessment, not because it is easier.

Why do you teach Cambridge instead of another exam board?

After teaching multiple specifications over more than twenty years, I believe Cambridge's stepped approach allows many students to build confidence while demonstrating the same core reading and writing skills.

Can home-educated students take Cambridge iGCSE English?

Yes. Many home-educated students study Cambridge iGCSE English through online courses or private tuition before sitting the exam at an approved examination centre.


I'm Jenny Wells, founder of English Discovery. I specialise in teaching Cambridge iGCSE English Language through small online classes, supporting home-educated students, neurodivergent learners and those looking to build confidence in English through structured, thoughtful teaching.

Interested in learning more? If you're looking for a supportive, structured online course for your child, I'd be delighted to chat about whether my classes would be a good fit. You can also explore my current  Cambridge iGCSE English Language courses  on the English Discovery website. 

Comments